We all love our hair, it is our companion for life long. It is such thing that need to take proper care otherwise you have to face early baldness. Hair also need lots of nutrient, proteins, vitamins and it should be provided. Cleansing you hair, applying protein hair mask, keep oiling, steaming everything is necessary for your hair. Excessive hair fall can cause depression and we keep trying every other products, home remedies, medicines, we just need your hair to stay. But you never thought of essential oil can be a help for your hair growth.
Essential oil is such thing that can be a solution to many problems including your hair. There is a saying that 'Big Things Come in Small Packages'- essential oil are perfect example of that. Just 2-3 drops can do magic. Essential oil is beneficial for controlling hair fall, dandruff, itchy scalp, strengthen and nourishes your hair. It is one thing that is safe to use rather than any other conventional product in the market.
Now we will discuss about the benefits of essential oil for hair and how to use it-
1. Rosemary essential oil
|Photo credit: store.do-essential-oils.com|
How to use:
- 2-3 drops of rosemary essential oil
- 2 tbsp of carrier oil (jojoba, coconut, olive)
- Hot towel
2. Lavender essential oil
|Photo credit: ohsimply.com|
- Prevents hair loss
- Helps control Alopecia.
- Controls male pattern baldness.
- Increases blood flow in the scalp.
- 2-3 drops of lavender oil
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil
- Steamed towel
3. Clary Sage essential oil
|Photo credit: uk.do-essential-oils.com|
- It stimulates hair growth by increasing the cellular metabolism.
- It fights from dandruff.
- It strengthens hair strands.
- It treats dry and frizzy hair and make it manageable.
- 2-3 drops of clary sage oil
- 2- 3 tbsp of jojoba oil
4. Cedarwood essential oil
|Photo credit: cleopatraaromatherapy.com|
- It treats thinning of hair.
- Cure hair loss.
- It also controls oil secretion from the sebaceous gland.
- 2-3 drops of cedarwood oil
- 2 tbsp of grapeseed or jojoba oil
5. Thyme essential oil
|Photo credit: store.do-essential-oils.com|
Thyme oil is available in two types one is red thyme and another is white thyme. White thyme is good for your hair and is used in many hair care products which claims to prevent hair loss and you can also use the oil itself, but try to avoid red thyme, using too much of it can cause skin irritation. Other factors-
- It increases the blood circulation and rejuvenates your hair follicles.
- It's anti-microbial properties treats mild dandruff.
- Promotes hair growth.
- 2 drops of thyme oil
- 2 drops of lavender oil
- 2-3 tbsp of olive oil
6. Bergamot essential oil
|Photo credit: herbco.com|
- It can make your hair smooth and silky.
- It help in getting rid of any build up in scalp.
- It can be a tonic for your hair growth.
- 2-3 drops of bergamot essential oil
- 2 tbsp jojoba oil
7. Peppermint essential oil
|Photo credit: theoilacademy.com|
- It is great for every hair and scalp type.
- It also treats dry, flaky scalp that means overall it reduce dandruff.
- It also nourishes and hydrates your dry hair.
- 3 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 3 drops of rosemary essential oil
- 3 tbsp of coconut oil
Peppermint oil has cooling sensation that can cause skin irritation if you are allergic to mint, at first do a patch test and then apply it on your scalp.
8. Vetiver essential oil
|Photo credit: providenceapothecary.com|
- It helps in preventing hair loss which can be caused by the excessive heat produced by the body.
- It has anti-oxidant property which prevent from premature graying of hair caused from the free radical.
- It also reduces stress levels which is one of the factor for hair loss.
- 3 drops of vetiver essential oil
- 3 tbsp of sweet almond oil
9. Eucalyptus oil
|Photo credit: jujuaroma.com|
- As like other essential oil it also helps in stimulation of hair follicles which means getting an even blood flow around the follicles.
- It helps in achieving a healthy, shiny and thick hair.
- It works like an antiseptic by killing head lice.
- It also helps to get relief from itchy scalp.
- 1 tsp of almond oil
- 1 tsp of olive oil
- 5 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
10. Carrot Seed essential oil
|Photo credit: villagecraftandcandle.com|
- Helps in strengthening the roots and make it thicker.
- It also hydrates the scalp.
- It can make your hair shine and healthy.
- It also prevents from hair breakage and split ends.
- It helps in maintaining curls and prevent from swelling and static.
- 2-3 drops of carrot essential oil
- 2 tbsp of coconut or grapeseed oil
If you want you can also put the above essential oils in your any hair care product like shampoo, conditioner, serum or any hair oil.
Preventive measures:i) Essential should not be use directly, it should always be diluted with other hair products or carrier oil like jojoba, grapeseed, coconut or olive oil.
ii) Always do a patch test before applying the essential oil in your hair or scalp, as it may cause irritation or any skin reaction.
iii) If you are pregnant or suffer from hypertension avoid using essential oil.
These essential oils can help your overall hair health and texture. If you don't want to use essential oil you can also try home remedies to cure hair loss.
Essential oils are like gifts, they have huge medicinal benefits. They are highly concentrated and potent so it should be used carefully. Different people have different scalp and hair type, which essential oil suits you best that you have to make sure.
If you have any queries regarding this post, please let us know in the comment section below.